Wine Matching Synopsis
Riesling is undoubtedly the best wine partner with food for its versatility and compatibility with a wide range of foods. From spicy to salty, chicken to pork, vegies to tropical fruits; Riesling provides a balance of intense acidity, natural mineral favours and a fruity, floral nose. A perfect match!
We felt it would go well with the Eggplant and Goat Cheese bake because of the complementing flavours in the wine. Examples include flavours in the wine such as green apple and the sweetness of the tart lychee which complement the meal's flavours of nuttiness (due to the cheese) and the garlic, buttery texture of the eggplant (aubergine).
First, chill your bottle of Riesling in the fridge.
- Then preheat the oven to 200°C
- Slice the eggplant (aubergine) into 3/4 cm thick slices.
- Mix the crushed garlic with some olive oil and brush the eggplant (aubergine) with the garlic-oil.
- Heat the barbecue or grill and cook the eggplant (aubergine) until slightly charred.
- Slice the capsicum (pepper) in quarters and grill. When the skins become blackened, put the capsicum (pepper) pieces into a plastic bag. Allow to cool and then peel off the skins using your hands.
- Cook the corn on the cob in a saucepan with water for a few minutes then when it is cool, slice the corn off the cob.
- Oil a ceramic baking dish and arrange layers of eggplant over the bottom.
- Cover with some rocket and some spinach leaves, along with strips of capsicum (peppers).
- Sprinkle the corn and dot on a bit of pesto.
- Spread the feta, the goat and the mozzarella cheese over the top, leaving enough for the remaining layers.
- Repeat the layers (3-4 times) ending with an eggplant (aubergine) layer and some mozzarella.
- Put it in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
Serve it sliced with a crusty French baguette, some salad greens and baby tomatoes, and a chilled glass of 2004 Flyfaire Riesling. Bon appétit!
- Wine Match: Flyfaire Riesling 2004
- 4 medium eggplants (aubergine)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 red capsicum (red pepper)
- 1 corn cob
- 100g fresh pesto
- 50g rocket leaves
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- 100g Feta cheese
- 100g goats cheese
- 100g grated mozzarella