This year, we've entered our Riesling in to the Canberra International Riesling Challenge (CIRC). The wine competition was created in Canberra, Australia to highlight one of our favourites at Flyfaire, Riesling.
The challenge attracts wines from Riesling producing countries from all around the world and is seen as one of the most significant events of its type in the southern hemisphere.
Having entered the challenge, we will be competing with 500 other Riesling producers from across the world.
The results are out Friday the 16th of October, 2015 and we'll be sure to update this post to let you know how we went!
Flyfaire scored a 79 in the Various Class 1 [Current Vintage 2015- Dry - <8g sugar/ltr]. It was a solid result, with a very high level of competition and quality of competitors seen at this year's challenge. You can access the full results here.
Interesting Facts About Riesling:
- It's latin name is Vitis Vinifera.
- It comes from the Caucasus mountains in Georgia.
- The wine was possibly enjoyed by the Romans who may have chosen it for its ability ripen in cold climates.
- First documentary evidence of the grape appears in 1435 by Kloster Eberback, a monastery in the Rhinegau.
- Austrians have claimed to have had Riesling since 1308 at Ritzling, in Wachau.
- Riesling was first grown in Germany and then spread to the surrounding grape growing countries, which included Italy, Austria and Hungary. More recently, Riesling reached the new world wine countries, including Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States.
Flyfaire Wines is located in the Woomargama National Park and we are close to the regional centres of Holbrook, Albury/Wodonga, Canberra, and Wagga Wagga. We produce quality cool climate wines and provide a premium cellar door experience.